How to return to Factory settings on my Fairphone 2
You want to find out if a software issue is bothering your phone and Safe modus didn’t help out. Or you want to sell the phone to someone else. Then you want to erase all the information stored on your device. Let us guide you on how to reset your Fairphone 2 to factory settings.
Note: a return to Factory Settings deletes all data!
Before you perform the reset we recommend - if possible - to make a thorough backup. Save your pictures, music and all private files or make a mirror of your phone. You can save them on a micro-SD card, on your computer or synchronise with your Google account.
If your Fairphone 2 starts:
When your Fairphone 2 still starts, you can reset via the Settings menu:
Settings → Backup & reset → Factory data reset → RESET PHONE
If your Fairphone 2 doesn’t start anymore:
If your Fairphone 2 does not start any more, please follow these steps:
- Make sure you have backed up or transferred all your data when possible.
- To boot the Fairphone 2 into the System recovery, press and hold the power button first and the volume-up button right after. Keep them both pressed until the Fairphone animation appears, which could take up to five seconds.
- The System recovery displays after up to one minute. It shows a resting Android robot lying on its back with the message “No command”.
- In Android 6.0, once again, press and hold the power button first and the volume-up button right after. In Android 5.1 you can skip this step.
- Use the volume-up and volume-down buttons to navigate into the menu. Confirm your choice with the power button.
- In case you want to leave the System recovery, use the first entry 'reboot system now'. This will take you back to the regular operating mode. Or you can take the battery out.
- When you want to proceed, select 'wipe data/factory reset'.
- Select 'Yes -- delete all user data' to confirm that you want to delete your personal settings
- Once the action is complete, the message "Data wipe complete” will appear.
- The System recovery menu will appear once again. Select 'reboot system now'. Press the power button to confirm and restart your system.
- The first boot will take more time than usual.
In case you did a Factory reset to try to fix a software issue, we recommend not to restore your data right away. Wait one day before you restore your data again, and reset them one by one. This way it is easier to find out if a setting, app, SIM Card or document is a cause of your issues or if it is a hardware problem.