What is new with Android 6.0 Marshmallow?
We recommend to update your Fairphone 2 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow for several reasons. With updates you keep your device fit and secure.
When you update to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, you will notice several changes. Some are specific for the Fairphone OS and some are Android based.
Due to new functionalities and tools in Android 6.0, some Fairphone OS specific features and widgets are now redundant. Next to that, we took the opportunity to stop the use of some features that were not working as intended and to create a consistent Android experience.
New Fairphone OS features:
- We redesigned the Boot-up animation. This is the animation you see when you start the phone
- We added new wallpapers, designed by Fairphone
- Your battery percentage and charging status are now displayed on the lockscreen
- Night Light is a feature that reduces the amount of blue light emitted by the display. This way using your Fairphone at any hour will interfere less with your circadian rhythm. Via Settings → Display → Night Light you can turn it on. Toggle the slide button to On.
Tap Turn it on automatically to access the Custom schedule or set it from Sunset to sunrise
- The quick access icons on your lock screen changed slightly: the image below shows Android 5.1 on the left, Android 6.0 on the right
General new Android 6.0 features:
- You will have more control over app permissions. Android 6.0 will only ask for an app permission when you use the app and the OS needs access. You can deny any permission and still continue to use the app, though it can impact certain functionalities. You can change permissions at any time, using a new overview that’s organized by permission type. You can access this via Settings → Apps → Settings (Cogwheel icon) → App permissions
- Multitasking improves due to improved app performance and lower overhead memory
- Flexible Storage makes external memory use easier. You can now use SD cards or external storage devices as encrypted expanded storage for your apps and games
- With Android 6.0, battery life improves compared to Android 5.1.
- Default storage access is now possible via Settings → Storage & USB. You can choose between Internal storage or SD card. Click on the names. If you click on the triangle, you will eject the SD card
- Android Messages app is now the default app for SMS text messaging
Features that will be gone:
- Edge Swipe - the side menu with your four favorite apps. These four apps migrate to the ‘hotseat’ area on the homescreen (bottom part of the screen)
- Apps Lifecycle: the separation between Active apps and Idle apps in All Apps overview. In Android 6.0 the All Apps overview will show your most used apps first, aided by a search button to search for your favourite app
- The lock screen Clock widget wasn’t working as we intended so we took it out. This feature showed you “Your Fairphone since…/ Your piece of mind lasted../ Battery lasts until...”
- Privacy Impact - the Privacy Impact feature is not needed anymore. Android 6.0 now enables you to grant permissions when you use an app
- The Reboot option and Airplane mode in the power off menu
- Contacts widget
- The old (AOSP) Android Messaging app for SMS texts (this has been upgraded to the Android Messages app)
- Amaze File Manager app. A file management structure is now built into Android. In Settings → Storage & USB → Explore. You can still download the Amaze app, or any other file manager from the Google Play Store if you need it
On our blog, we explain more about the journey to Android 6.0.
If you experience an issue, please contact us!