How can I use and edit apps in “Quick Access” or the “Hotseat”?
To fast access your favorite apps, there is the Quick Access function (Android 5.1) or the Favorite Tray (Android 6.0). These functions have the following apps pre-installed:
- Phone is the basic call app. If you’ve inserted two SIM cards, you can pick which one you want to use from the pull-down menu at the top of the screen. Swipe your finger down from the top of the screen before making your call
- Messages is the basic SMS text messaging app. If you’ve inserted two SIM cards, you can pick which one you want to use from the pull-down menu at the top of the screen
- Launch the Camera to take a picture. Press the icons at the bottom of the screen to switch between the front and rear camera, or to make a video
- Browser in Android 5.1 and Chrome in Android 6.0 are the basic browser for accessing the web. Of course you can download and install other browsers
- Use All Apps function to add apps to any of the Home panels.
Accessing and editing your favorite apps differs between Android 5.1 and Android 6.0
Access and edit in Android 5.0
To access the Quick Access, hold your finger on the right or left side of the screen and swipe it horizontally.
Edit the apps in Quick Access
- To change the apps in Quick Access, swipe from the side of the screen until Quick Access shows
- Press and hold for three seconds to activate the Edit mode
- In the Edit mode, you will see three columns. The two on the right show all your apps when you scroll down. The one on the left shows your four favorite apps. To edit these, drag and drop an app from the right to the to the left column.
Do your apps in the Quick Access menu disappear after a reboot of the phone? Make sure you put those apps in the internal storage of the phone or on your SD card. That is, if the app supports this.
- Go to Settings → Apps
- Select the desired app
- Select Move to internal storage or Move to SD card
Access and edit in Android 6.0
In Android 6.0, your favourite apps will be in the so-called “hotseat” at the bottom of your screen. The collection of favorite apps is called the Favorite Tray.
Edit the apps in the Hotseat
To add an app
- To add an app to the Favorites tray, tab the All apps icon in the middle of the hotseat
- Select the app of your choice and continue to press for a second or two
- Drag it to the spot of your choice
- Let go
To delete an app from the hotseat
- Tab and hold the icon of your app for a second or two
- Drag the icon to the top of the screen
- The text Remove shows. Drag the icon there and release
- When you want to completely uninstall an app, drag the icon of it to the text Uninstall and release