Fairphone 2 Dual SIM feature
The compatible SIM card for Fairphone 2
The Fairphone 2 only supports a micro SIM card (3FF)(ID-000 format), sized: 15mm x 12mm x 0.76mm.
If you have a nano SIM card, please:
- avoid using a SIM adaptor in your FP2 (it may increase risk of damaging the SIM connectors)
- don't use a SIM card which has been cut in an electronics store (or at home) to the size of a Mini SIM - always ask your provider for a new SIM-card
Dual SIM Feature
With a Fairphone you can use two SIM cards from different service providers and even from different countries. You can make and receive calls and text messages from both cards, but you will use mobile data only from the preferred SIM card.
Configure your preferences
When you add or change the SIM cards (one or both), a configuration notification will appear. Touch it to go to:
- SIM card settings - or go to the general Settings menu of the phone
- SIM cards > SIM Enablers
- choose to enable/disable a SIM card
- name each of your SIM cards
- go to Preferred SIM
- set your preferences for Mobile data, Calls, SMS messages.
Toggle and limit mobile data connection
To toggle mobile data connection for each SIM card:
- go to Settings
- Data usage
- toggle mobile data
To limit mobile data connection for each SIM card:
- tap the date range to select the day of each month when you want the mobile data counter to be reset (for instance when your data plan is renewed)
- toggle on the Set mobile data limit setting
- use the orange ruler to set your limit.
The phone will notify you and deactivate mobile data on that SIM card when the threshold is reached (per cycle).
Furthermore, you can define a mobile data warning: your phone will notify you once you've used a certain amount of mobile data through that SIM card.
Last but not least, you can restrict the mobile data used in the background. This means that apps will not be synchronising any data (e.g. receive e-mails and Internet calls, refresh the weather forecast, etc.) until you use them. This will reduce the amount of mobile data used.
- tap the More settings icon (the three vertical dots at the top right corner)
- select Restrict background data
Set the preferred network type (2G/3G/4G)
There can be only one SIM card connected to a high-speed network type (3G/4G). To define which one:
- go to Settings > More > Mobile networks
- define, per SIM card, which network type you would like to use
- switch a SIM card to a high-speed network type (4G (preferred)/3G/2G or 3G (preferred)/2G), by making sure that the other SIM card is set to operate on 2G only
Toggle mobile data roaming (when you are abroad)
Are you travelling outside of your home country? Remember to double check your SIM cards configuration. Using mobile data while you are abroad can be expensive, better be safe than sorry!
- Go to Settings
- Mobile networks
- Cellular network settings
- Data roaming
- Tick the checkbox if you want to use the mobile data while travelling
- Repeat the step above for the second SIM card
Using mobile connection may be expensive and can drain your battery faster than usual.
To quickly enable or disable mobile data on your preferred cellular data SIM card use the Quick Settings pull-down menu:
- swipe down from the top of your screen
- tap on the mobile connection symbol
- use the Cellular data switch, on the top right corner.
If you have a weak mobile signal, your phone will consume more energy to stay connected. When this happens, try to move closer to the access point or turn off the data connection if you’re not using it.