How to insert and format a MicroSD card
The Fairphone 2 allows MicroSD cards of up to 64GB of all available formats: SD / SDHC or SDXC.
Insert SD card
To insert an SD card in your Fairphone 2:
- Open the back of your phone
- Insert your MicroSD card in the MicroSD slot. The MicroSD slot is located on the top right of the back of the device, next to the SIM card slots.
- Put the back cover back on.
- Press the Power button to restart your phone
- A pop-up shows with two options:
- Use SD card as portable storage. This allows the storage of personal data such as photos. We recommend this option for the FP2.
- Use SD card as internal storage. This allows apps to store on your SD card.
Format SD card
Some SDXC type cards come in a certain format called exFAT. The Fairphone 2 does not support this format, but you can reformat your SD Card to a format called FAT32 (or other formats). There are multiple sources online to help you out with this. Here is one.
We advise to re-format your SD card with your phone:
- Go to Settings
- Select Storage
- Select your SD card (do not click the triangle icon: it will eject your SD card)
- In the three-dot menu on top right, select Storage settings
- Select Format.