How can I recycle my phone?
To give your unused phones a new life, we have a recycling program for you.
- This program is only offered for all EU-countries with the exception of Norway and Switzerland due to technical and logistic limitations. Please contact customer support if you are from one of these two countries.
- The recycling cashback offer is part of a planned promotion to kickstart our goal of recycling 20,000 phones in 2020. This promotion is valid for a limited time only: from 14 July 2020 to 31 December 2020. For more information please consult the terms and conditions of our Recycling program.
- We continue to accept your previous phones of all models and this will remain free of charge. We especially encourage you to send in phones that are still functioning, as these phones can be refurbished and help to fund our free recycling program. Our goal is to move towards a fully circular economy by reducing electronic waste and to do this, we need your support.
How it works:
Go to our recycling program page for the instructions and the form you need to fill in
Based on the IMEI:
Your phone is eligible for this recycling program: you receive a free shipping label . You can ship the phone!
You can normally ship up to 5 devices (please check your local regulations, as this may vary per country) and at least one of them should be able to start-up. This is the IMEI number you must use in our recycling form.
- Your phone can not be refurbished or used for spare parts: you can recycle the device locally. Consult the website of your municipality to recycle your phone and do not download the shipping label.
When you receive a shipping label:
- Prepare your phone
- Leave the battery inside your phone. Do NOT include it if it is bloated or swelling (Fairphone 1) (Fairphone 2)!
- Remove your SIM card and/or memory SD card and erase your personal data (Fairphone 1) (Fairphone 2). Our recycling partner will wipe the data from your phone upon arrival
- Erase any pin or access code you would need to access the phone.
- Package your phone
- Wrap the phone and accessories securely in tissue paper or bubble wrap
- Place everything in a box. Add more newspaper or bubble wrap to keep things from sliding around
- Print the shipping label we sent you and tape it on to your parcel
- Drop it off at your local postal office. For your administration: you can see the shipping company on the shipping label.
- Your phone will be reused or recycled to get the maximum value from the materials.
- Find your IMEI number (Fairphone 1) (Fairphone 2):
- On the back, side or inside the phone
- Underneath the battery
- On the original phone packaging
- By calling *#06#* (works for any other brand phone)
- Our DEKRA-certified partner removes all personal data from your phone. For peace of mind, you may wish to delete the data yourself before sending in your phone (Fairphone 1) (Fairphone 2)
- Unfortunately, our recycling program only applies to countries in the EU, so the program does not apply to Norway and Switzerland. The logistic impact of adjusting the program to these countries exceeds the resources we have available for the automation. Please contact customer support to do this for you or look into local e-waste recycling programs to give your old phone a new life.
- We use any revenue we receive from your old phones to support this recycling program and all our other social and environmental projects
- If shipping costs are greater than the value of your device, we recommend that you recycle your phone locally. Consult the website of your municipality for the possibilities.
- When you want to recycle a spare part or module, you can do this via your local e-waste recycling point. Consult the website of your municipality for the possibilities.
That's it! Thanks for supporting safe recycling and helping Fairphone extend the lifespan of mobile phones.