Manually install Fairphone OS on your Fairphone 1
Usually, you update your Fairphone 1 software via the Fairphone Updater app. In case this doesn’t work out, you can manually install the latest software version of the Fairphone OS.
Before you start:
- Make sure you know which Fairphone 1 model you have. FP1 originally had a different storage layout than the FP1U, so has a different release.
- In case you have a FP1, make sure you have the Storage upgrade installed. A FP1 with an upgraded storage layout uses the same releases as an FP1U. If you want to first upgrade the storage layout of a FP1, download this file: FP1 storage layout upgrader (Kola Nut 1.8.7) (~200MB) - and continue with step 2. Remember: this erases all your data
- When your FP1 hasn’t had the Storage upgrade yet, now is the time to do it. Our tutorial is your guide
- When you are using an alternative launcher (e.g. Google Now Launcher), uninstall it
- Make sure your battery has a complete charge
- Very important: Backup your data
- Have a micro-SD card ready if you have a FP1U or a FP1 with the upgraded storage layout
- Have a data-cable ready
Now you can get started.
- Download one of the two update files (ZIP archive) to your computer. The latest Fairphone OS version for the Fairphone 1 is Kola Nut 1.8.7
- File for FP1U & FP1 with upgraded storage layout (Kola Nut 1.8.7) (~200MB)
- File for FP1 with original storage layout (Kola Nut 1.8.7) (~200MB)
- If you experience problems with downloading the update file, try a different Internet browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox)
- For FP1U & FP1 with upgraded storage layout: copy onto the micro-SD card
- For FP1 with original layout: copy onto the phone’s storage
- The Fairphone displays the “Select Boot Mode” text. If not, take out the battery and start again.
- Use the volume up button to place the arrow on the right hand side in front of “Recovery Mode”. Then press the volume down button
- A resting Android robot lying on the back will appear after a few seconds. Press the power button to enter the System recovery
- Use the volume down button to navigate into the menu, confirm with the volume up button
- You can use the first entry “reboot system now” to leave the System recovery and go back to the regular operating mode. Or take the battery out
- If you don’t see any file name but only “../” as a selection choice, it means that you need to use a micro-SD card. Start again from step 2. Take the battery out to shut down the Fairphone
- The update will now take place with the notices "-- Install /sdcard ..." and "Installing update..."
- Once complete, the message "Install from sdcard complete." will appear
- You will have to confirm the deletion by selecting entry “Yes -- delete all user data”
- Once the wipe is complete, the message “Data wipe complete” will appear
If you need older versions of the Fairphone OS, you can find the downloadable files in a separate article.
Need more help? Contact our support team!