Swelling FP1(U) battery
Every lithium-ion battery has a limited life. Your battery has reached the end of its life if:
- is not charging well
- has a poor battery life is to cry over but you have tried everything
- has expanded in size. By feel, look or when it causes the back cover to pop off or bulge.
If you suspect your battery is swelling, do the battery spin test. When your battery spins more than two rounds, it is swelling.
When your battery is swelling:
- Immediately turn off your device and remove the battery from your Fairphone
- Discard the swelling battery as soon as possible at your local small chemicals recycling point. Consult the web pages of your municipality.
- There is an inbuilt mechanism to prevent pressure from building up inside as much as possible. Once the swelling process has started, it can not stop. The pressurized gases can be dangerous and we recommend you proceed with caution.
- Do not ship your swelling battery as it is considered a dangerous good by the shipping agencies.
- This issue is not specific to Fairphone. Unfortunately, swollen batteries can occur with any lithium battery.
- Humid environments or frequent dropping can also cause swollen batteries.
On the 11th of July 2017, we officially announced the end of Fairphone 1's maintenance as well as the availability of its spare parts, including the battery.
If you want to replace your battery, you can try our community marketplace.