Troubles with FP1(U) battery - it seems to be swelling
- have trouble charging your battery,
- encounter that the battery life is to cry over but you have tried everything,
- see or feel that the Fairphone battery has expanded in size, causing the back cover to pop off or not sit flat,
it’s possible that your battery is bloating.
Although there is an inbuilt mechanism to prevent pressure building up inside as much as possible, it can not stop the bloating process once it has started. Once the bloating occurs, the pressurised gases might be dangerous and we recommend you proceed with caution.
If you suspect you have a bloated battery, follow the steps below:
- Check if the battery appears bloated in size and too big to fit within the battery compartment
- Immediately turn off your device and remove the battery from your Fairphone
- Please discard the swelling battery as soon as possible at your local small chemicals recycling point.
Do not ship your bloated battery as it is considered a dangerous good by the shipping agencies. Please safely discard the battery at your local recycling point.
This issue is not specific to Fairphone. Unfortunately, swollen batteries can occur within any electronic device containing a lithium battery. Nevertheless, our product department is collecting as much information as possible about Fairphone bloated batteries to analyse potential causes and/or solutions.
So far, we’re aware that bloated batteries can be caused by leaving your Fairphone in humid environments and/or frequently dropping your Fairphone. Please avoid subjecting your Fairphone to such conditions.
On the 11th of July 2017 we have officially announced the end of Fairphone 1's maintenance as well as the availability of its spare parts, including the battery.
If you are looking into replacing your battery we would like to point you to our community marketplace.