Why is the Fairphone 2 'fairer' than the Fairphone 1?
Sixty-thousand people (60.000) people purchased the first Fairphone. Thanks to all of them (you!) we were able to start making an impact on the entire electronics value chain. Including mining, manufacturing, design and life cycle.
To take our ambitions for fairness even further, this support also gave us the financial foundation we needed.
In 2014, we invested in a completely original design for our new phone. This time with a specific focus on increasing product longevity and supply chain transparency.
- The Fairphone 2’s modular architecture gives users more control over their phone. They will have the ability to easily open and replace the parts more prone to failures and accidents. The phone also features high-quality components and innovations. Like a back cover with integrated protection. So users don’t need an extra case, which will help the phone last longer and prevent e-waste.
- This design approach gives us the ability to increase our influence on our own supply chain. We now have greater oversight of production processes and more control over the materials used. We also have the ability to build stronger relationships with (sub)suppliers. This helps us to install social programs and improve working conditions.
- Finally, production of the Fairphone 2 allows us to further develop the projects we started with the first phone. We are working on incorporating conflict-free minerals (gold, tantalum, tungsten and tin). We are financing a worker-controlled welfare fund at our manufacturer. We are also contributing to a variety of new projects throughout the value chain.
To learn more, you can also read our blog posts.
- About our approach to developing the Fairphone 2
- How our ambitions were translated into the phone's design
- Which improvements we could realise in the produced Fairphone 2
- And the Life Cycle Assessment of the Fairphone 2.