How is the Fairphone 2 'fairer' than the Fairphone 1?
Between 2013 and 2015, sixty-thousand people bought a Fairphone 1. Thanks to all them, we began making an impact on the electronics value chain: mining, manufacturing, design and end-of-life.
In 2014, we invested in a completely original design for our new phone. This time we focused on increasing product longevity and supply chain transparency.
- The unique modular architecture of Fairphone 2 gives users more control over their phone.
The device is easy to open and modules are trivial to replace.
- The phone also features innovations like a back cover with integrated protection. This way users don’t need an extra case, which will help the phone last longer and prevent e-waste.
- This design approach also gives us the ability to increase our influence on our own supply chain:
- Better oversight of production processes.
- More control over the materials used.
- Stronger relationships with (sub)suppliers, which helps us to install social programs and improve working conditions.
- Learning from our experiences in developing and shipping the Fairphone 1, we improved logistics for Fairphone 2.
- We reduced the volume of shipments from Asia to Europe by 49%. Our innovative packaging approach has been key to this improvement. We ship phones in bulk from the factory to our logistics center in the Netherlands.
- The compact design of the packaging unifies product box and shipping box. We use the innovative, eco-friendly material Paperfoam, whose manufacturing process is less energy-intensive than standard cardboard. And it is compostable!
- Finally, production of the Fairphone 2 allows us to further develop the projects we started with the first phone.
- We incorporated conflict-free minerals (gold, tantalum, tungsten and tin)
- We are financing a worker-controlled welfare fund at our manufacturer
- We are also contributing to a variety of new projects throughout the value chain.
To learn more, you can also read our blog posts.
- About our approach to developing the Fairphone 2
- How our ambitions were translated into the phone's design
- Which improvements we could realise in the produced Fairphone 2
- And the Life Cycle Assessment of the Fairphone 2.