Why is the Fairphone 2 'fairer' than the Fairphone 1?
Sixty-thousand people (60.000) people purchased the first Fairphone. Thanks to all of them (you!) we were able to start making an impact on the entire electronics value chain. Including mining, manufacturing, design and life cycle.
To take our ambitions for fairness even further, this support also gave us the financial foundation we needed.
In 2014, we invested in a completely original design for our new phone. This time with a specific focus on increasing product longevity and supply chain transparency.
- The unique modular architecture of Fairphone 2 gives users more control over their phone.
They can easily open the phone and replace the module containing parts more prone to failures and accidents.
- The phone also features innovations like a back cover with integrated protection. This way users don’t need an extra case, which will help the phone last longer and prevent e-waste.
- This design approach also gives us the ability to increase our influence on our own supply chain.
We now have greater oversight of production processes and more control over the materials used. We also have the ability to build stronger relationships with (sub)suppliers. This helps us to install social programs and improve working conditions.
- Learning from our experiences in developing and shipping the Fairphone 1, we improved logistics for Fairphone 2.
- We reduced the volume of shipments from Asia to Europe by 49%. Our innovative packaging approach has been key to this improvement. We ship phones in bulk from the factory to our logistics center in the Netherlands
- The design of the packaging unifies product box and shipping box. The result is a much smaller box of the innovative, eco-friendly material Paperfoam. It is compostable and uses much less energy in production than regular cardboard or paper pulp
- Finally, production of the Fairphone 2 allows us to further develop the projects we started with the first phone.
- We incorporated conflict-free minerals (gold, tantalum, tungsten and tin)
- We are financing a worker-controlled welfare fund at our manufacturer
- We are also contributing to a variety of new projects throughout the value chain.
To learn more, you can also read our blog posts.
- About our approach to developing the Fairphone 2
- How our ambitions were translated into the phone's design
- Which improvements we could realise in the produced Fairphone 2
- And the Life Cycle Assessment of the Fairphone 2.