How can I charge my Fairphone 2?
In the package of a Fairphone 2, we do NOT include a charger.
We do not want to create unnecessary electronic waste, as most people already have the right charger at home. Our community compiled a list of compatible chargers for your convenience.
When you do not have the right charger at home, we recommend to ask family or friends if they have a spare charger. As long as they match the technical specifications it should be good to go!
A charger for the Fairphone 2 needs to have the following specifications:
- 5 volts (5V)
- 1 ampere (1A, 1000mA) or more
- micro USB Type B connector
The first time you charge your phone, please use a charger that delivers at least 1 ampere (1A, 1000mA).
When you experience problems with charging, please:
- Try at least 3 different chargers and USB cables
- See if you find solutions on our forum
- Contact us if these previous steps do not solve the issue
The FP2 does not support quick charging.
Here is an example of the right type of USB cable and charger:
Number 1 (see image) is a power plug with a USB connector without a cable attached.
- For fast charging the charger should deliver 5 volts (5V) and a minimum of 1 ampere (1A, 1000mA)
- A charger that delivers more current (greater than 1 ampere) will not increase your charging speed. You can find these values (volts and amperes) on the charger itself under “output”
- These chargers are available at most electronics stores.
USB 2.0 + type A plug + USB Micro B connector
Number 2 (see image) is a normal USB 2.0 cable with a USB Type A plug on one side and a USB Type Micro B connector on the other side.
- To be certain that you use the right one, make sure you see the USB symbol on the port of the cable
- With a cable that detaches from the power plug, you can charge your phone with your laptop or computer
- When you have a data cable, you can even transfer data to and from your Fairphone.
Car power plug
Number 3 (see image) is a car power plug.
- You can use it to charge your Fairphone 2 in a car
- We recommend to do this when you use your phone as a navigation system
- We recommend the same specifications as for a wall charger: 5 volts (5V) and at least 1 ampere (1A, 1000mA)
It is possible to charge the Fairphone with only 0.5 amperes (0.5A, 500mA) - and 5 volts (5V). But 0.5 ampere (0.5A, 500mA) might be not strong enough when your battery is completely empty.
In case you tried several different chargers and cables and still have issues charging, please contact our support team!