Manually install Fairphone OS for the Fairphone 2
The recommended way to update your Fairphone 2 to the latest software is through the built-in Fairphone Updater app.
This article refers to the latest Fairphone OS version available, you can find the downloadable files of older Fairphone OS in a separate article.
If you are interested in the open source version of Fairphone Open OS instead, please go to code.fairphone.com.
Note: We advise you to back up your data first before continuing.
We foresee two possible scenarios in which you might need to manually install a Fairphone OS on your device:
1. The update through the Fairphone updater app fails
2. Your new display stays black
The procedure is the same in both situations. However, if your new display stays black you will not have a visual feedback of what is happening in your Fairphone 2 during the process. That is why we designed very detailed instructions to better help you following the necessary steps. Be aware of the green coloured text for any exception that might apply in this scenario.
Before you begin:
- The needed files are packed in a ZIP archive together with easy-to-use flashing scripts
- The user data will not be erased. If you want or need to do so, please refer to the article how to return to factory settings
- Prerequisite(s) for Microsoft Windows systems:
- Windows 7 and later
- Your computer needs to have a working internet connection
- Prerequisite(s) for Apple Mac OS X systems:
- MacOS X 10.10 and later
- Prerequisite(s) for GNU/Linux systems:
- A recent GNU/Linux distribution
- You need to install the fastboot tool, usually available through your package manager
Installing via the package manager and rebooting the system should grant you access to the device, keeping you from having to run the script as root.
The Android 7 upgrade cannot be installed on encrypted devices with secure start-up enabled. Please disable secure start-up first: go to security settings and re-enter your current screen lock, but leave secure start-up disabled. You should undo this after installing the update.
- Download the ZIP archive below to your computer:
[Binary image] Fairphone OS 18.09.2 (Android 7.1) (~650MB)
- If you experience problems with downloading the update file properly, try a different Internet browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox).
- hold both buttons until the Fairphone logo appears (up to five seconds), then release them
- if your display stays black, hold the buttons until your Fairphone 2 vibrates, wait a couple of seconds and then release them
- while in the bootloader, the device will not display anything besides the regular Fairphone logo
- On Windows, execute (double click on) the script flash-for-windows.bat
- If a window with a security message shows up, select More info, and then Run anyway
These screenshots were taken on a machine running Windows 10. The warning might appear differently in earlier versions of Windows
- On MacOS X, right click on the file flash-for-mac.command, then select Open
- If a window with a security message shows up, select Open again
This screenshot was taken on a machine running Mac OS 10.11.6. The warning might appear differently in other versions of Mac OS X
- On GNU/Linux, open a terminal emulator, navigate to the archive content directory and execute the script with the command sh flash-for-unix.sh
However, if you see a warning message stating "WARNING: No Fairphone 2 found in fastboot mode" (see image below), proceed as follows:
I) Please perform steps 3 and 4 again
II) Once your Fairphone 2 boots into the bootloader, go to the script, type "y" and press the enter key after the question "Do you want to look for a Fairphone 2 again?" (see image below):
III) If the script starts running, wait until completion and then press Enter to reboot the device. Proceed then to step 8.
IV) If you still see the same warning ("WARNING: No Fairphone 2 found in fastboot mode"), please close the script and repeat the procedure from step 2.
If you’re unable to complete the process described above, please contact our support team.