My Fairphone 2 is not working, what can I do?
Before contacting us, did you know you can solve many issues yourself without spending time on a call or waiting for an answer to your email?
To troubleshoot your issue and find a diagnose and solution, go to our new troubleshooter. If you aren’t able to solve the problem on your own, the troubleshooting tool will help you get a better, faster response when you do get in touch with us.
Additionally, below you find some relevant information on how to use your Fairphone 2, as well as some tips on how to resolve some common issues you may experience:
- Watch this video tutorial about how to get started with your Fairphone 2 and check if you did not miss something at the beginning.
- Make sure you have the latest software update installed. Connect your phone to a Wi-Fi network and check for an update with the Updater app.
- We wrote a support article listing the all Fairphone 2 software issues. We will make sure to update this article when a new issue is recognised or when we have a fix available. An important source of information in collecting these bugs is the list of known issues on our forum.
- Try different chargers and different cables. Some chargers are not delivering enough power to the device. We recommend using a standard micro USB Type B connector, delivering 5 volts (5V) over 1 ampere (1A, 1000mA) or more. You can also try to charge your phone with a computer.
- Try to charge the phone without the protective back cover so that the USB connector has a better fit to the micro-USB port. If this solves your issue consider purchasing a new cable.
- Try to kickstart the battery:
- Take out the battery of the phone;
- Wait for half an hour and put the battery back in the phone;
- Connect the Fairphone to a charger;
- If the charging light is blinking, it means that the battery was totally empty, wait for some minutes until the red light becomes fixed;
- A loading battery icon should appear for a few seconds (a short press on the power button will display it);
- Please keep on charging for more than an hour because the battery was likely totally drained.
- In general, have a look at this support article to learn How to make the most of your battery life.
- You might have a SIM card that is not working properly anymore. SIM cards can collect scratches and corrosion on crucial places, causing your phone to disconnect from the network and even freeze or spontaneous reboot.
- When you have a SIM card older than a year or you experience issues like:
- Calls are interrupted or you have difficulties to receive a call;
- Sound quality of phone calls is worsening;
- Connect the Fairphone to a charger;
- Battery is depleting quicker than usual;
- Your Fairphone is requesting the pin code of your SIM card other than after intentionally rebooting the phone;
- After crashing or freezing, your Fairphone can only be rebooted by taking out the battery.
- We recommend obtaining a new SIM card with your network provider, this can be within your current contract and often for free.
- In the event of your SIM contacts not showing, try the following troubleshoot: usually the only way to get it to show your contacts again is to turn your SIM card off and on again or restart your phone. Go to: System settings → SIM management → Turn "Off" SIM card → "On" again
- Check if you removed the plastic protection foiled on the screen of your Fairphone 2. You should not keep it on the screen while using your phone.
- With the phone turned off, carefully remove the battery and then the screen. Then put the screen and the battery back, and power on your phone as stated in this video tutorial.
- If you have difficulties to remove the screen, then it is good to "massage" it. We mean, try to open and close it several times. After some successful tries, it will get easier to open.
- If your screen happens to be and to stay black and everything else doesn't work, please let us know so we can send you the instructions to perform a hard reset.
If your issue is not solved with the help of these tips, please go to our troubleshooter and follow the instructions according to the symptoms you are experiencing.