How to connect your Fairphone 2 to a computer (Windows, Mac and Linux)
In order to connect your phone to a computer, you need a USB cable. You usually don't need extra software to connect your Fairphone 2 to your computer - it will immediately recognise your phone. Once your computer recognizes your phone as a USB storage device, you can then transfer files to it (such as music, pictures, contact lists, videos).
How to connect your Fairphone to your Windows PC:
- Connect your Fairphone with a USB cable that not only charges, but transfers data too, to your PC
- The Fairphone should show up under “My Computer”.
- If it doesn’t connect automatically, open the notification panel on your phone, select USB connection and in there select “MTP” mode.
Some Android devices are not recognised by Windows 7 because of missing drivers. There is a solution for this: you can install universal drivers which will work thanks for example to the ADB Driver.
How to connect your Fairphone to your Apple Mac:
- First, install the Android File Transfer driver first on your Mac device. Click here to download the software. Android File Transfer is an application for Macintosh computers (running Mac OS X 10.5 or later) you can use to view and transfer files between your Mac and an Android device.
- After the installation is done, connect your Fairphone to the device. Use a data cable, make sure it is not only for charging.
- Slide the notification bar down on your Fairphone.
- Choose USB for charging
- In the menu, choose File transfer
- The File Transfer app will now pop up on your Mac device
- Transfer your files!
- Please be aware that applications and services like iCal, iTunes and iCloud will not work on the Fairphone because they are made specifically for Apple iOS.
How to connect your Fairphone to your Linux computer:
Connecting your Fairphone to a Linux computer is slightly more difficult, but it's possible and should work without any problems. Read the articles here and here, on how to use your Fairphone with a Linux computer. Also, an easy solution is to install the package mtpfs. Read more here about mtpfs.