FP2. Why we do not include a charger
Why do you not include a charger with the phone?
There are two main reasons why we do not include a charger with the device.
1. Most households have a compatible charger
The Fairphone 2 is compatible with any standard micro USB type B charger and cable. As you probably have one already, there is no reason to bill you for something you might not need.
2. We want to reduce e-waste
The EU generates 10 million tons of WEEE (waste electrical and electronic equipment) per year. On average, this means 20 kg per person. An estimated 0.2% of the total WEEE consists of cables. That doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up to 20,000 tons of e-waste per year. There are ongoing improvements in electronics design but we can not reduce the growing pile e-waste pile in the long term. Unless we reduce the overall consumption of electronics.
If you’re interested in learning more about the latest WEEE directives, you can find out more on the European Commission website.
Ok, I understand. And what if I don't have one?
USB chargers and micro USB cables are extremely easy to find. You can buy them online, from electronics stores, or even some grocery stores. Do make sure you buy one according to specifications. Be aware that if you buy a separate cable, that all of them are for charging and only specified ones are also for data transfer.
Not all chargers are created equal
Even though almost all USB chargers currently in the official EU market meet the standard USB specifications on paper, some of them can still not behave properly when used with the FP2. To make sure you buy a charger that will work flawlessly, we have some tips for you.
- Buy a charger from a known brand, one whose main market is electronics and/or power adapters.
- Do not buy the cheapest item you can find. This is valid both for the charger AND the cable.
- Do not buy from vendors that ship directly to you from outside the EU. Claimed EU Certifications do not always reflect reality. Then not only quality but also safety is not according to EU regulations
- Refer to the list of tested chargers curated by the Fairphone community.
- Alternatively, you could also buy our certifier USB Charger and keep it for the future. However, with a Fairphone 2, you will not be able to take advantage of the faster Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 times