FP2. Troubleshoot issues with Mobile data (internet), Hotspot, APN & MMS
If you cannot connect to the internet even after enabling your mobile, your hotspot is active but doesn't let other devices go online, or you can not receive MMS, first, make sure:
- your plan includes MMS and mobile data for the internet (contact your network provider)
- your SIM card is not older than 2 years.
- your provider still supports MMS (mostly applicable in France).
- your SIM card works fine with other devices. If not, contact your network provider.
If you already went through the previous 4 points, and you are still having issues, please, proceed in order with the next steps:
1. Check your mobile network
Make sure that your Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+ (FP3/FP3+) connects to the right network provider:
1. Go to Settings → Network & internet → Mobile Networks. If needed, select the tab related to the SIM card you are troubleshooting
2. Disable the option Automatically select network. The phone will scan for all available operators. This might take a bit
3. Manually select your network operator. If your data connection starts works, you might have been registered on the wrong network
If you are still unable to connect or send and receive MMS, it usually means there is an issue with your APNs (Access Point Names) settings
2. Manually set your APNs parameters
APNs parameters are usually set automatically, but being Fairphone a small company, we are still working on being supported by some network providers. If you are not able to connect to the internet, you will have to set your APNs manually.
To do so:
- Contact your network provider, or go to their website, and get the following mobile internet settings (in case you are not able to find some values, just leave the default one):
• MMS proxy
• MMS port
• Authentication type
• APN type
• MVNO type
- Now see if these values required by your provider match with those on your Fairphone 3. Go to: Settings → Network & internet → Mobile Networks → tap on the tab of your provider if needed → open Advanced → Access Point Names. This will show you the APN settings on your device
- To proceed:
- If there is no previous setting, tap on the plus sign icon (+) in the top bar next to the search icon to add the settings
- If the setting is there, tap on the setting name (e.g. name of your provider) to edit the values that are not correct. Change them according to the information you got from your provider