FP2. Swollen lithium-ion battery
Every lithium-ion battery has a limited life. Your battery has reached the end of its life if:
- is not charging well or has an erratic battery behavior
- has a poor battery life but you have tried everything and you have excluded the SIM card
- has expanded in size. By feel, look, or when it causes the back cover to pop off or bulge. Do the spin test (see below)
- is over a year old.
If you suspect your battery is swelling, do the battery spin test. When your battery spins more than two rounds, it is swelling.
When your battery is swelling:
- Immediately turn off your device and remove the battery from your Fairphone
- Do not charge this battery anymore
- Discard the swelling battery as soon as possible at your local chemical recycling point. Consult the web pages of your municipality for the possibilities.
- There is an inbuilt mechanism to prevent pressure from building up inside as much as possible. Once the swelling process has started, it can not stop. The pressurized gases can be dangerous and toxic: we recommend you proceed with caution. DO NOT try to charge this battery anymore.
- Do not ship your swelling battery as it is considered a dangerous good by the shipping agencies.
- This issue is not specific to Fairphone. Unfortunately, swollen batteries can occur with any lithium battery.
- Humid environments or frequent dropping can also cause swollen batteries.
We have designed the Fairphone 2 with a modular architecture, so your battery is easy to replace. You can order a new battery via our online store.