FP2. Wi-Fi & Hotspot connections
Via Wi-Fi networks you can connect to the internet and use data without having to use data via your SIM card and data-plan.
If you want to provide a Wi-Fi network for other devices via your Fairphone 2 and your SIM card, you can set up a hotspot.
To set up a Wi-Fi connection in your Fairphone 2, follow the next steps:
- Open the pull-down menu and make sure your Wi-Fi is on: the icon should be green
- Press and hold the icon to open the Wi-Fi settings
- Choose a network connection from the list
- If the network is password-protected, a pop-up will ask you to enter the password
- If you do not know the password, you will need to ask the network administrator
- If you receive an Authentication error, you may have entered the wrong password or it may have changed recently
- Select the network and push the button Forget to start anew
- Restart your modem/router and try to reconnect with the correct password
- If the issue persists, Select the network and open Advanced options to set up or edit (click on the pencil icon) your Proxy Settings, IP Settings, Gateway, or DNS server
Want to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot?
Make sure your provider or mobile data plan allows for tethering (using your SIM card as a hotspot). Not sure? Please contact your provider.
Go to Settings → Networks & internet → Hotspot & tethering → Wi-Fi Hotspot and then toggle the switch to On
You might have to set up a Hotspot name and a Hotspot password. If you want to prevent the Wi-Fi Hotspot to turn off automatically, tap on Advanced and disable Turn off hotspot automatically
If you encounter issues, please proceed with the next steps:
1 - Update software
Please make sure you are running the latest software version. If you are not, or are not sure, please read the instructions to upgrade your Fairphone 2 to Android 10.
2 - Renew your SIM card
Make sure your SIM card is new and undamaged. An old (+1 year) or damaged SIM card makes your phones' processor work harder to keep up and can even cause serious issues. So if your SIM card is older than two years - or you can not recall how old it is - contact your provider to renew your SIM card. This way you can prevent increased battery depletion.
To know more about data-transfer, please read our other support pages