FP2. Troubleshoot issues with SIM card(s)
If you encounter any of the issues listed below then you might have a SIM card that is not working properly anymore. It can be too old, or damaged. Classic signs that indicate you should consider renewing your SIM card are:
- Calls being interrupted, or messages delayed.
- SIM Pin code requested without rebooting the phone.
- Sound quality decreasing.
- Battery life reduced.
- Phone getting warm.
- SIM card contacts show only a phone number, no names.
- Sudden Airplane mode.
- Crashing apps.
- The phone freezes and it can only be solved by taking out and remounting the battery.
A SIM card is a very small piece of hardware issued by your provider to be able to use cellular and mobile data. It is vulnerable to regular wear and tear, and user damage. With your SIM card, you will have received a SIM Pin code and a PUK code, also by your provider. So in case of issues with these, please contact your provider.
Please make sure you are running the latest software version. If you are not, or are not sure, please read the instructions to upgrade your Fairphone 2 to Android 10.
Renew your SIM card
Make sure your SIM card is new and undamaged. An old (+1 year) or damaged SIM card makes your phones' processor work harder to keep up and can even cause serious issues. So if your SIM card is older than a year - or you can not recall how old it is - contact your provider to renew your SIM card. This way you can prevent increased battery depletion.
If you are running the latest software version and have a brand new SIM card, you can do some extra tests to fix the issue, or pinpoint what the cause may be:
- Check if the SIM card has any issues in Settings → System → Maintenance →Checkup → Mobile Connectivity.
- Remove your SIM card(s).
- Test your phone in Safe mode. This way you can see if a downloaded app or a SD- or SIMI card are causing the issue.
- Do a Factory reset. This will delete your data, so please make a backup. If the phone works fine before you place the SIM card back, but the issues show again after inserting the SIM card, you'll need to contact your provider for a new SIM card! If the issue persists directly after the factory reset and before you insert your SIM card, please contact Customer Support.
SIM card is not recognized
If the system does not detect your SIM card, in Settings → Network & internet → SIM cards, the entries will be greyed out, preventing any interaction. The SIM card icon does not show and the entry states SIM empty right below the SIM card identifier.
If the Fairphone 2 is not detecting your SIM card:
- Test your SIM card in both SIM slots.
- Do not use a SIM adapter: have the SIM card cut at the right size.
- Test the phone with **at least** another (new) SIM card. Make sure to test the device with a different sim card from a different provider. The more, the merrier.
- Still not recognized? Use the troubleshooter (No connection) to either solve the issue or get in contact with customer support.
If after reading the article you need more help, get in touch with our Customer Support.