FP2. Troubleshoot the (Fairphone) Updater app
You need the Fairphone Updater app so we can inform you about the newest software updates for your Fairphone 2.
We always advise you to install the Fairphone Updater app through the Google Play Store. In case you encounter an issue with the app, you can try the following steps.
Keep your Fairphone Updater updated
The Fairphone Updater app should always be up to date. You can then receive notifications when a new software update is for your Fairphone 2 available.
- Make sure you have a stable WiFi connection.
- Open the Google Play Store and search for “Fairphone Updater”.
- Install the Fairphone Updater app on your device.
- If the Fairphone Updater app is installed already, make sure you update it to the most recent version (version 1.50.5). Please read our FP2. Android 10 FAQ to find how to find which version you use and how to update it.
If this doesn't help then please follow these steps - clear the cached files downloaded by the Fairphone Updater:
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Fairphone Updater > Storage > Clear Cache.
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Fairphone Updater > Storage > Clear Storage.
- Go to Settings > Storage > (in case you use an SD card as portable storage: Internal shared storage) > Other apps > Fairphone updater > Clear Cache.
- Reboot your phone.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet through Wi-Fi.
- Start the Fairphone Updater app and let it check for updates once more.
You will need at least 600MB of internal storage space left to perform an update. Go to Settings > Storage > (in case you use an SD card as portable storage: Internal shared storage) and make sure your storage has enough space.
If not, please uninstall some apps, delete some photos, movies, and music files, and check again.
The partial update is only relevant for you if you have not updated in a while and are still on Android 5 or Android 6.
Since the update Fairphone OS 1.7.0 (Android 5) we offer our updates partially. Partial updates drastically decrease the file size of an update, which improves the user experience by making the entire installation process a lot quicker.
In relation to this, we only offer partial updates to users who are running Fairphone OS 1.6.2 (Android 5) or later - so if you are currently running a Fairphone OS version inferior to 1.5.1 you should be offered the 'full download' version of Fairphone OS.
If the partial update is not working for you, you can always go to the Fairphone Updater app > Enter Advanced Mode: here you'll find the 'full download' version of the latest software update.
Finally, there is also the possibility to perform the update manually. Learn how to in FP2. Manually install Fairphone OS.
If after reading the article you need more help, get in touch with our Customer Support.