What is new with Android 7.1 Nougat?
After months of hard work on development, Android ‘Nougat’ is finally available for the Fairphone 2!
We strongly recommend you to update your Fairphone 2 to Android 7, which includes security fixes and improvements.
When you update to Android 7.1 Nougat, you will notice some changes.
New Fairphone OS features:
This new OS runs faster and smoother
Your battery charge should last longer between charges.
General new Android 7.1 features:
- Split-screen use. Now you can use more than one app in a single screen. Just open one app you want to use on your screen, then press and hold down the square-shaped overview button at the bottom right to choose from other apps to add to screen. Not all apps support split-screen mode yet.
- Bundled Notifications. You know the endless list of notifications that stack up in the pull-down window? Android 7 takes care of that. It groups related alerts into packages which you can expand and collapse with a tap on a button.
- Direct replies go hand-in-hand with bundled notifications. You can either reply to messages straight from the alert when it pops up at the top of the screen, or from the bundled notification without leaving this part of the screen. Direct replies work for most texts and chat apps.
- Better toggles. Say good-bye to third-party toggle widgets. Now, Android has its own built-in toggles (also known as the quick settings menu) that sit right above notifications. To access, just swipe down from the top of your screen. The new toggles include handy things like WiFi, Bluetooth and Do Not Disturb. Android also gives you some (limited) choice over what toggles you want to appear. You'll have two toggle menus, a quick one that appears when you swipe down and then a complete menu with all available toggles when you tap the down arrow at the top right.
- Data Saver. Apps that run in the background can burn through your monthly data really quickly. With Data Saver, however, Nougat lets you keep apps from running in the background unless you're on WiFi, saving your precious data plan.
For more information on the new android 7 features, consult Google's official list.
How to update
Follow the necessary steps to update to Android 7.