Charge your FP3
The Fairphone 3 does NOT ship with a charger or a headset included in the package. You need a USB Type-C charger and/or cable to replenish your FP3 battery.
Find a charger for your Fairphone 3
The reason that we do not ship the phone default with a charger is that we do not want to create unnecessary electronic waste. As most people already have the right USB Type-C charger or cable at home, a default charger might be redundant in your situation.
When you do not have the right charger at home, ask family or friends if they have a spare charger or USB-C cable. As long as it matches the technical specifications it should be good to go!
However, we recommend to also visit our forum to discuss experiences, compatible brands/products and tips with other community members.
USB-C and Quick Charge
The Fairphone 3 uses USB-C charging as it is the new industry standard. It supports features like quick charging and a reversible connection.
The FP3 supports Quick Charge. This means you can supply your battery with new energy quicker than before using a Quick Charge compliant USB Type-C cable. For quick charging, you will need charging equipment that enables this. See the specifications mentioned below.
The port and plug have no dedicated direction in USB-C. This way we avoid damage to the charger or the USB port of your phone as there is no 'wrong' direction anymore.
A charger and cable for the Fairphone 3 must have the following specifications:
- 5 volts (5V)
- minimum output of 1 Ampère/h (1Ah, 1000mAh) - beware that this will have a slow charge
- maximum output of 3 Ampère/h (3Ah, 3000mAh)
- Qualcomm Quick Charge processor compatible, version QC 3.0
- the cable must have one USB-C connector
- manufactured by a USB certified brand
- must be compatible with a Qualcomm chip, version 3.0 (not all Quick chargers are compatible).
The first time you charge your phone, please use a charger that delivers at least 1 Ampere (1Ah, 1000mAh) and allow more than an hour for your battery to show a charge.
When you experience problems with charging:
- Make sure your charger is compatible. Supercharge USB-C cables are not compatible with FP3. An example is Huawei's USB type C cable. We invite you to visit the community forum to exchange tips and recommendations.
- Try at least 3 different chargers and USB cables
- Consult our Troubleshooter
- See if you find solutions on our forum
- Contact us if these previous steps do not solve the issue
It is possible to charge the Fairphone with only 0.5 amperes (0.5A, 500mA) - and 5 volts (5V). But 0.5 ampere (0.5A, 500mA) might be not strong enough when your battery is completely empty.
In case you tried several different chargers and cables and still have issues with charging, please contact our support team!