Charge your Fairphone 3
The Fairphone 3 does NOT come with a charger or earphones included in the package. You will need a standard USB-C charger to charge your Fairphone 3 battery.
Before you buy any new cables, you may want to try what you already have at home. However, if you’re having trouble charging, we recommend trying at least 3 different compatible chargers before you contact the support team. See below for charger specifications.
Ways to find a charger for your Fairphone 3
We don’t include a charger (power plug) and cable in the box because we’re trying to reduce electronic waste. Many people already have the right charging equipment at home. And if you don’t, ask your family or friends if they have a spare one they’re not using. Just be sure the cable and charger you use match the technical specifications listed below: then it should be good to go!
If you’re certain that you need to buy a new charger, you can visit our forum to discuss the best brands/products with other community members. Of course, you can also order a compatible Fairphone 3 USB Charger in our online store.
What is USB-C and Quick Charge?
The Fairphone 3 uses USB-C charging as it is the new industry standard. It supports features like quick charging and a reversible connection.
Fairphone 3 uses a reversible connector that is now the industry standard, called USB-C. This means that there’s no longer a “wrong” way to plug the cable into your phone, which helps keep damage to a minimum. It also supports some features like Quick Charge and data transfer.
Quick Charge is a technology featured in Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets (also known as SoCs). When using a charger that supports this feature (see specs below), you’ll get much faster charging times.
Charger and cable specifications
Fairphone 3 uses a Qualcomm SoC. Therefore, you will need to ensure that your charger is compatible with Qualcomm SoC protocols.
You can find the FP3 will charge with any charger from Qualcomm’s official list.
A charger and cable for the Fairphone 3 must have the following specifications:
- 5 volts (5V).
- Minimum output of 1 ampere/h (1A, 1000mA). Be aware that this will have a slow charge.
- Maximum output of 3 ampere/h (3A, 3000mA).
- Qualcomm Quick Charge processor compatible, version QC 3.0.
- The cable must have one USB-C connector and manufactured by a USB-certified brand (if your product has no brand or the brand name doesn’t appear on this list, it is NOT certified).
What to do if you experience problems with charging:
- Double-check the above specifications to make sure your charger is compatible. For example, Supercharge USB-C cables and Huawei's USB type C cables are NOT compatible with the Fairphone 3.
- Try at least three different USB cables and chargers (power plugs).
- Consult our Troubleshooter.
- Go to the forum to find out what is working well for other Fairphone 3 owners.
In case you tried several different chargers and cables and still have issues with charging, please contact our support team.
Additionally, you can find a certified cable and charger in our webshop.