Adapt APN settings to enable MMS, data and hotspots on your Fairphone 3
If you do not have mobile data (4G/3G), you can not receive MMS messages or your hotspot is active but has no internet, it usually means your APN (Access Point Names) settings are wrong, or they are not there at all.
First, make sure that:
- your SIM card is not damaged or too old and your phone recognizes the SIM card
- your provider enables and supports MMS (mostly applicable in France).
If the SIM card works fine in other devices and your provider provides MMS transfer, you can:
- See if the phone connects to the right network
- See if there are (correct) APN settings entered for the SIM card which has to connect to the Internet
- Try different connections
- Consult the forum of your provider for known issues and maybe workarounds (example).
Read on for the instructions and explanation or consult the support article on data connections.
Check your network operator
To make sure that your Fairphone 3 connects to the right network of your provider:
1. Go to Settings → Network & internet → Mobile Networks and select the tab related to the SIM card you are troubleshooting.
2. Disable the option Automatically select network. The phone will scan for all available operators. This might take a bit.
3. Manually select your operator (provider). If everything goes as planned and your data connection starts working again, you might have been registered on the wrong network.
Verify your mobile data (APN) settings
If you are still not connected, find out if the settings required by your provider match with those on your Fairphone 3.
To do this:
- Go to the website of your provider (or call them) to find a list of their mobile internet settings:
- APN (Access Point Name)
- MCC (Mobile Country Code)
- MNC (Mobile Network Code)
- Verification type
- APN type, etc.
- Now see if these values required by your provider match with those on your Fairphone 3. Go to: Settings → Network & internet → Mobile Networks → tap on the tab of your provider → open Advanced → Access Point Names. This will show you the APN settings on your device.
- To proceed:
- If the setting is not there, tap on the plus sign icon (+) in the top bar next to the search icon to add the settings
- If the setting is there but not correct, tap on the setting name (e.g. name of your provider) to edit the value according to the information you got from your provider.
Try different connections
If you are still not connected, try different connection protocols (4G/3G/2G).
Go to: Settings → Network & internet → Mobile Networks → tap on the tab of your provider → Preferred networks and select one of the networks.
If the issues persist, the phone might be trying to connect using a network protocol that is not supported by your contract, or your SIM card is not working anymore. Contact your provider for more information.