Insert and format a Micro SD card
To extend the memory capacity of your Fairphone 3, you can use a MicroSD card (dimensions: 15mm×11mm) of all available formats: SD / SDHC or SDXC.
You can use a (Micro) SD card as:
- Portable storage, so you can store personal data on it. We recommend this option for the FP3
- Internal storage, so your phone can store apps on it.
Insert SD card
To insert a Micro SD card in your Fairphone 3, have a look at our tutorial or follow the instructions below.
To insert a Micro SD card in your Fairphone 3:
- Open the back of your phone
- Take the battery out
- You now see a Micro SD card icon to indicate the MicroSD slot, above the two SIM card slots
- Insert your MicroSD card in the MicroSD slot
- Insert the battery again
- Put the back cover back on
- Press the Power button to restart your phone
- A pop-up shows with two options:
- Use SD card as portable storage. This allows the storage of personal data.
- Use SD card as internal storage. This allows apps to be stored on your SD card.
Format SD card
Some SDXC type cards come in a certain format called exFAT. The Fairphone 3 does not support this format, but you can reformat your SD Card to a format called FAT32 (or other formats). There are multiple sources online to help you out with this. Here is one.
We advise to re-format your SD card with your phone:
- Go to Settings → Storage
- Select your SD card (do not click the triangle icon: it will eject your SD card)
- In the three-dot menu on top right, select Storage settings
- Select Format.