Update your Fairphone 3 to the latest software
Fairphone OS version 0101 is the latest software version for your Fairphone 3 released in November 2019. It is based on Android 9 Pie.
We strongly recommend to run your Fairphone 3 with the latest software update. These updates include security fixes and improvements.
Your Fairphone 3 will check daily for updates when you connect to a Wi-Fi / Mobile data network. If you do not see a notification about the new update, you can follow the instructions to check your version below.
Your processor is working hard and needs energy when it updates. It is normal that it becomes hot during the procedure and we recommend to charge it during the update or at least have a battery charge of 80%.
Check your version
To view which version your phone is running:
- Go to Settings → System → Advanced → System update - Check for update
- This should state: Your current operating system version - Fairphone OS [version_number]. It should also state: Your operating system is up-to-date. If not, it will show that a more recent software version is available. Keep reading and follow the next steps.
Update your Fairphone 3
To have a smooth update, we recommend the following before you start updating:
- Create a backup of all your data to keep them safe
- Charge your device until it is full
- Use a stable Wi-Fi connection and connect the FP3 to it
- Restart your phone.
Now you are ready to update your device:
- Go to Settings → System → Advanced → System update
- Push the Update button.
The update did not work, what should I do?
The Fairphone 3 is frozen / does not react
If you cannot reboot your device (the screen does not react anymore), manually reboot it by pressing the power button for 15 seconds or by taking the battery out. Then install the software update again.
The Fairphone 3 screen stays black / does not boot anymore
- Make sure the battery of the device is not (completely) empty: use the correct charger
- Turn off the phone. If it does not respond, go to step 3.
- Take the battery out
- Put the battery back into the device
- Plug the charger in and wait a few seconds for the device to boot in charging mode (when the charging animation is displayed). The charging light should appear red or orange, blinking if the battery was depleted or steady if the device is charging. Wait for the green light, which indicates a fully charged battery. If the device does not charge at all, contact our support team.
The Fairphone 3 is in a boot-loop / continuously restarts
If the issues continues, please contact our support team.