FP3(+). Factory reset (erase all data)
The reasons for which you should perform a factory reset of your Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+ (FP3/FP3+):
- To protect your personal data when you are giving your device to someone else (ie. selling, gifting, lending, recycling, or repairing it)
- To solve an issue when troubleshooting did not help, test the SIM card(s) remove your SD card, and troubleshoot your phone in Safe mode
Back up your data
Before you reset your phone, we recommend you back up your FP3/FP3+data
Performing a factory reset will wipe all your personal data such as photos, sound recordings, downloaded apps, and app settings
Erase all data (factory reset)
Fairphone starts normally
If your FP3/FP3+ starts normally, perform a factory reset via the Settings menu.
When possible, we recommend using this procedure to avoid triggering the Factory Reset Protection (FRP). You can read more details at the end of this article
Go to Settings → System → open Advanced → Reset options → Erase all data (factory reset) → tap the button Reset phone
Fairphone does not boot anymore
If your FP3/FP3+ does not boot into Android anymore, you will have to perform the reset using the system recovery:
- Press and hold together the Power button and the Volume Down button for about 10 seconds
- Pay attention to the screen of your FP3/FP3+. Once the writing Fast boot mode appears briefly, release the buttons
- A text appears with Start as the title, in green
- Use the Volume buttons to change to Recovery mode, in red
- Press briefly the Power button to select.
Wait for 5 to 10 seconds. Once the phone reaches the system recovery, you'll see an Android robot lying on its back. You'll also see the message No command.
- Now, press and hold the Power button, then press and release the Volume Up button. A new menu with blue, yellow, and white text will appear.
- Use the Volume Up or Volume Down buttons to select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Select Yes -- delete all user data to confirm that you want to delete your personal information.
- Again, confirm tapping the Power button.
Once the action is complete, all the way at the bottom left, in white small text, the message Data wipe complete will briefly appear. The Recovery system menu will appear once again.
- Use the Volume Up or Volume Down buttons to select Reboot system now.
- One last time, confirm tapping the Power button and wait for your device to restart
You are done! The first boot will take longer than usual, as the system has to initialize
- In case you want to leave the recovery system and not continue with the factory reset, select Reboot system now. Alternatively, you can just briefly remove the battery
After the reset
Test your device again
In case you did a Factory reset to fix a software issue, in the beginning, we recommend you not to restore your data. Instead, first, test your phone for a day or two.
If the issue is gone, start installing your favorite apps again, a few at a time
If you are giving the device away
If you performed the reset to sell or gift the phone to someone else, you can now proceed to do so without worrying about your personal information
Google Factory Reset Protection (FRP)
On Android, performing a factory reset via system recovery will NOT delete any Google account login information stored on the phone.
This is a safety measure Google implemented with Android 6 to add an extra layer of security. This way someone who stole your phone can not change the Google account assigned to your device into a new one. As soon as you reboot the phone you will be asked to log into the Google account which was registered on the phone at the time of the reset.
If you can not access this account even though it is yours, contact Google to help you gain access. If you can not access this account because it is not yours, contact the person who gave or sold it to you.
If you are planning on selling your Fairphone, execute the factory reset from the Settings menu. Read the paragraph Fairphone starts normally here above
If you are still having issues, get in touch with our Customer Support!