FP3(+). Update to the latest software
Fairphone OS version 8901.3.A.0129.202108053 is the latest operating system for your Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+ (FP3/FP3+), available for the open market, released on August 27, 2021. It is based on Android 10.
Some carriers might have a slightly different version number due to network optimization.
We strongly recommend running your FP3/FP3+ with the latest software update. These updates include security fixes and improvements. See also the Fairphone OS releases for FP3/FP3+.
When connected to the internet (via Wi-Fi or Mobile data network) your FP3/FP3+ will check daily for updates. If you do not yet see a notification about the last update, follow the instructions below to check your current version.
During an update, your processor is performing a lot of operations, It is normal that your device becomes hot during the procedure. This also requires lots of power. To avoid malfunctioning we recommend plugging your Fairphone into a power socket during the update or at to have at least 80% of battery charge.
Check your version
To view which version your phone is running:
Go to Settings → About phone → Build number.
This should state the latest software version that you can find checking the article Fairphone OS releases for FP3/FP3+.
Update your Fairphone 3
To successfully update your device, we recommend the following before you start updating:
- Create a backup of all your data to keep them safe.
- Charge your device until it is full.
- Use a stable Wi-Fi connection and connect the FP3 to it.
- Restart your phone.
Now you are ready to update your device:
- Go to Settings → System → Advanced → System update.
- Tap Check for update.
- If it appears, push the Update button.
The update did not work, what should I do?
The Fairphone 3 is frozen or does not react
If you cannot reboot your device (the screen does not react anymore), manually reboot it by pressing the power button for 15 seconds or by taking the battery out. Then install the software update again.
The Fairphone 3 screen stays black / does not boot anymore
- Make sure the battery of the device is not (completely) empty: use the correct charger.
- Turn off the phone.
- If it does not respond, take the battery out for 5 seconds then put it back.
- Plug the charger in and wait a few seconds for the device to boot in charging mode (when the charging animation is displayed). The charging light should appear red or orange, blinking if the battery was depleted or steady if the device is charging. Wait for the green light, which indicates a fully charged battery.
If the device does not charge at all, contact our Customer Support.
The Fairphone 3 is in a boot-loop / continuously restarts
Still not able to update?
You might try doing so using a computer. Follow the article Manually install Fairphone OS on FP3/FP3+.
Did you follow all the instructions of this article and you still cannot update?
Please, contact our Customer Support.