FP3(+). Back up & restore
To preserve your data (pictures, memories, contacts, etc.) we recommend performing regular backups because, no matter how careful you are, accidents could happen!
We also recommend to make a backup and perform a factory reset before you ship your device for a repair.
This article explains the easiest ways to back up your Fairphone 3(+) (FP3(+)). It only takes a few minutes.
Back up your data
The easiest way to do a simple, automated backup is to use the Google services that come pre-installed on the Fairphone OS. Some apps - like WhatsApp or Signal - require you have to perform a separate backup. To do this you will need to consult the webpages of the app or - in some instances - can make a backup via a Google account. Then, also consult our support article about connecting your FP3(+) to a computer.
Since Android 10, it is not possible to make manual backups as the Google services cover this. It is possible to download third-party apps that help you make a backup of your data. Please be aware that we do not provide support for that. You can find out via our community-driven forum which apps other users recommend, are available and would be suitable for your needs.
To back up your WhatsApp chats:
- Open Whatsapp → tap on the More options ⋮ button (3 vertical dots in the top right corner) → tap Settings → Chats → Chat backup → BACK UP.
- Once done, tap also on Back up to Google Drive and set it to Daily.
- Further down, you can decide if you also wish to Include videos.
To restore the backup, you have to do so when you are asked by WhatsApp, the very first time you use it after the installation. If you don't you will lose the chats you had in the meantime.
Back up your settings
A backup saves the settings of your apps such as Wi-Fi details, passwords, bookmarks, and more, all to your Google account. You will have to pick a Google account for your backups or create one if you haven't done it yet.
- To perform automatic backups of your settings, go to Settings → System → Backup → and enable Back up to Google Drive.
- To perform automatic backups of your photos, go to Settings → System → Backup → Google Photos → and enable Back up & sync.
- To back up your setting now, go to Settings → >System → Backup and tap Back up now.
If you followed the previous instructions, it is easy to restore all your data. To restore your data after you performed a factory reset, follow the next instructions:
- Turn on your FP3(+) and follow the instructions during Setup.
- Make sure the Fairphone connects to the Wi-Fi.
- When you reach the screen saying "Copy apps & data" tap on Next.
- Once the next screen "Bring your data from..." appears, tap on A backup from the cloud.
- Sign in to your Google account. First, type your email address, and in the next screen type your password.
- A list of backups will appear. Select a recent backup and type Next.
- Insert your previous screen lock as confirmation of your identity.
- All the options are selected by default. Tap on Restore.
- The following screen will ask you to select the permissions for the use of Google services. You can read the information to decide if you prefer to disable some of them.
- We recommend leaving Back up to Google Drive set to Enabled.
- Tap on Accept.
- Set a PIN. Make sure to not forget it, or you will not be able to access your phone anymore. You can also register one or more fingerprints. The PIN will be required anyway.
- Keep following the instruction setting your preferences. Once done, the phone will display a screen showing "Adding the finishing touches..." for a couple of minutes.
- In the end, our Fairphone App will Welcome you to the Fairphone community!
Your phone will need time to download all your previous apps. Depending on the number of apps and on the speed of your Wi-Fi connection it may even take up to an hour or more.
You can go to the Play Store → My Apps & Games to see if all the apps you had in your library installed.
If after reading the article you need more help, get in touch with our Customer Support.