FP4. Back up & restore
We recommend regular backups to preserve your data (pictures, memories, contacts, etc.) because accidents could happen no matter how careful you are!
For a more detailed guide, you can always click here to check Android's help article.
Backup your data
The supported way to backup your data on your Fairphone is to use the Google services: doing so is simple and can be automated.
Some apps - like WhatsApp or Signal - require you to perform a separate backup. To do this, you will need to consult the web pages of the apps themselves.
Back up your settings
You can back up content, data, and settings from your Fairphone to your Google Account, and this means you will need to link your Fairphone to it.
If you don't yet have one, you will have to create a Google account.
After you add your Fairphone to your Google account, on your Fairphone:
- Go to Settings → System → Backup.
- Please tap on the toggle next to Backup by Google One and enable it.
- Tap on the button Back up now.
- Additional -
- To back up photos and videos, continue in the same window. In the section Backup details, tap on Photos & videos, then tap on the toggle next to Back up & sync to enable it.
Restore your data after factory reset
If you follow the previous instructions, it is easy to restore all your data. To restore your data after you performed a factory reset, follow the following instructions:
- Turn on your Fairphone.
- Follow the instructions during Setup.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi.
- When you reach the screen "Copy apps & data", tap on the button Next.
- On the following screen, "Bring your data from..." tap on A backup from the cloud.
- Now, you will need to sign in to the Google account where you performed your backup.
Type your email address and tap on the button Next.
- On the following screen, "Bring your data from...", tap on A backup from the cloud.
- In the screen, select a recent backup and tap on the button Next.
- Insert the old screen lock of your backup and tap on the button Confirm.
- Choose what to restore and tap on the button Restore.
- The following screen will ask you to select the permissions for the use of Google services. You can read the information to decide if you prefer to disable some of them.
We recommend leaving Back up to Google Drive set to Enabled
- Scroll down and tap on Accept.
- Choose your search provider and tap on the button Next (to help the planet we suggest selecting Ecosia). :-)
- Set a screen lock and tap on the button Next. Please make sure not to forget your PINit, or you will not access your phone anymore. You can also register one or more fingerprints.
- Keep following the instruction setting your preferences. Once done, the phone will display a screen showing "Getting your phone ready..." for a couple of minutes.
- Once done you, will see the "Extended warranty" screen, and another screen following where you can select your prefernces.
- In the end, our Fairphone App will Welcome you to the Fairphone community!
Your phone will need time to download all your previous apps. Depending on the number of apps and the Wi-Fi connection speed, it may take even one hour or more.
You can go to the Play Store → My Apps & Games to check if you installed all the apps in your library.
- IMPORTANT -
The first time you open the Photos app after restoring your data, you will have to choose if you want to sync with Google Drive: say Yes to see your old photos on your new Fairphone.