FP4. Set up eSIM card (embedded SIM)
Your Fairphone 4 (FP4) supports one eSIM (embedded SIM) card. An eSIM is a form of programmable SIM that is part of the core module of the FP4. Using an eSIM does not require a physical SIM card; it's activated on your device.
The use of an eSIM might avoid unnecessary issues with your phone.
Like other Dual SIM devices on the market, Fairphone 4 uses standard Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) technology.
Both SIM cards are ready to be used at any time to receive or make phone calls. However, you can only use one of them at a time for cellular data. For more information on how this option works, please go to the "Set your dual SIM preferences" section.
Install the eSIM card
First, you will have to check with your network operator to buy a new eSIM or convert your current one.
If your operator can offer this option, they should provide you with the necessary information about your eSIM so you can install it on your Fairphone 4.
When you start the Fairphone 4 for the first time, the Set-up Wizard will guide you through the process.
If you skipped that part, follow the instructions below to activate your eSIM:
- Go to Settings → Network and Internet.
- Tap on the option "Mobile network Add a network.".
- If you have already installed a physical SIM card, tap on the "+" icon at the Mobile network menu on the right side of the screen.
- Tap on the option "Download a SIM instead?" at the bottom.
- Tap on the button Next.
- Scan the QR-Code of your eSIM (provided by your network operator).
- Tap on the button Activate.
- Enter the Operator confirmation code of your eSIM (provided by your network operator). Wait until the activation process ends.
- Enter your SIM PIN code if requested (your network operator should provide this).
- Enter your PHONE PIN code if requested (this is the code you use to unlock your phone).
- Tap on the button Done.
Congratulations! You have installed your eSIM on your Fairphone 4.
Set your dual SIM preferences
It is possible to use both a physical SIM and an eSIM card with your Fairphone 4, and you can adjust it in your preferences.
- Go to Settings → Network and Internet → tap on one of the 2 SIM cards
- Here you can select:
- Data preference Here, you must choose. SIM card 1 is the default one, but you can change it in these settings.
- Calls preference. Select a specific SIM card or decide to be asked every time you want to make a phone call.
- SMS preference. You can select a specific SIM card or decide to be asked every time you want to send an SMS.
Advanced data settings
The default settings will usually be suitable for the majority of users. We recommend you only adjust these settings if they are relevant to your needs and situation.
- IMPORTANT -
Keep in mind that adjusting these settings can interfere with the way applications work on your Fairphone 4. For example, it could happen that you won't get any notifications from your apps (Ie. WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, Messenger, etc.) unless you connect to Wi-Fi!
If you are an advanced user, this is how you can adjust some more settings:
- Advanced → Data Saver. You can set it On or Off. Here, you can manage Background data usage for any specific app — apps synchronizing data less often (or even stop!). You will not receive notifications until you open the app!
- Tap on a SIM card → Mobile data. You can set it On or Off for the specific SIM card.
- Tap on a SIM card → Roaming. You can set it On or Off for the specific SIM card.
- Tap on a SIM card → Advanced → Data warning & limit.
In this menu, you can set preferences and limits (per cycle) for your cellular data. The phone will deactivate mobile data after reaching the threshold:
- Enable Set data warning.
- Set a Data warning.
- Enable Set data limit.
- Set a Data limit.
- Enable Preferred network type.
- Set Preferred network type.
- Set Wi-Fi Calling preferences.
A data connection is at the core of all the functions of a modern smartphone. To avoid over-using your mobile data, always connect to a Wi-Fi network when possible.
To avoid unexpected charges, contact the customer service of your network provider. Ask them to help you analyze your mobile data consumption and make sure to choose the best plan for your needs.
Your Fairphone 4 battery has plenty of power to serve you for a full day of regular usage.
If you are running low on battery, you can disable the mobile data to extend your battery life. If you have a weak mobile signal or are on the go and navigating, your phone will consume more energy to stay connected.
To quickly enable or disable mobile data on your device:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen.
- Locate the Mobile data icon (swipe right or add it via the Edit pencil icon if not there).
- Tap on the Mobile data icon to turn mobile data On or Off.
If you need more help after reading this article, get in touch with our Customer Support!