FP4. Update to the latest Fairphone OS
We strongly recommend running your Fairphone 4 5G (FP4) with the latest version of Fairphone OS. These updates include security fixes and improvements.
See the article FP4. Fairphone OS Releases Notes for more details on the different versions. Some carriers might have access to other software versions due to specific network optimizations.
When connected to the internet (via Wi-Fi or Mobile data network), your Fairphone will check daily for updates. If you do not yet see a notification about the last update, follow the instructions below to check your current version.
Your processor performs many operations during an update, so it is normal if your device becomes hot during the procedure. As updating also requires lots of power, to avoid malfunctioning, we recommend plugging your Fairphone into a power socket during the update or having at least an 80% battery charge.
Check your version
To view which version your phone is running:
Go to Settings → (scroll down) About phone → (scroll down) Build number.
Here it will state the software version. To find out if you have installed the latest checking the article FP4. Fairphone OS Releases Notes.
Update your Fairphone
To successfully update your device, we recommend the following before you start updating:
- Create a backup of all your data to keep them safe.
- Charge your battery at least 80%.
- Connect to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Reboot your phone before starting.
Now you are ready to update your device:
- Go to Settings → (scroll down) System → Advanced → System update.
- Tap Check for update.
- If it appears, push the Update button.
The update did not work. What should I do?
The Fairphone is frozen or does not react.
If the screen does not react anymore, reboot your device manually.
To do so, press the power button for 15 seconds or remove the battery for 5 seconds, then put it back.
Once done, try to install the software update again.
The Fairphone screen stays black / does not boot anymore
- Make sure the battery of the device is not empty: use the correct charger.
- Turn off the phone.
- If it does not respond, take the battery out for 5 seconds, then put it back.
- Plug the charger in and wait a few seconds for the device to boot in charging mode (when the charging animation is displayed).
The charging light should appear red or orange, blinking if the battery is depleted or steady if the device is charging. Wait for the green light, which indicates a fully charged battery.
If the device does not charge at all, contact our Customer Support.
The Fairphone is in a boot loop / continuously restarts
Still not able to update?
You might try doing so using a computer. Follow the article FP4. Install Fairphone OS off-line.