FP4. Migrate data from another phone
Starting your Fairphone 4 (FP4) for the first time, you might like to take along your data (like contacts, photos, calendar, etc.) and your installed apps.
Follow this guide to have a smooth transition from your previous device.
Scroll down the article to find the instruction that applies to your current device.
For a quick introduction on how to start using your Fairphone 4, please have a look at our video tutorial:
Transfer data from another phone
To do the switch:
- Charge both phones.
- Connect to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure you have a personal Google Account. If you don't, you will need to create your own Google account (Google business or school account will not work).
- We recommend to use a new SIM card for each new phone. This might also be a good moment to switch from a physical SIM card to an eSIM. Both options will prevent SIM card issues. Contact your provider to get a new SIM card within your current contract and with the same phone number. They can also help you transfer your SIM card contacts, or you can import the contacts to your Google account so you always have a backup.
- IMPORTANT -
Some 3rd-party apps, like WhatsApp, have their own backup method, and you will have to check these apps separately.
To transfer data with WhatsApp, follow the official guide on their website.
Transfer data from Android to Fairphone 4
If your previous smartphone runs on Android, you can back up and restore your data via Google servers. The easiest way is to bring your data from a backup from the cloud.
On your previous Android device
On your new Fairphone 4 with the Setup wizard
When you turn on your Fairphone 4 for the first time, a Setup wizard will guide you in getting your device ready for use.
- Turn on your Fairphone 4.
- Select your language and region.
- Tap on START.
- If you have not inserted a SIM card yet, a screen saying Connect to a mobile network will appear.
- Tap on Skip (bottom left corner). You can install your SIM card and or eSIM card later.
- A screen saying Connect to Wi-Fi will appear.
- Tap on your Wi-Fi network.
- Type your password. Then tap on Connect.
- A new panel will appear, showing the writing Copy apps and data. Tap on Next.
- Tap on A backup from the cloud.
- Type your personal Google account information (the same account you used to backup your previous phone). Then tap on Next.
- Type the password of your personal Google account. Then tap on Next.
- Tap on I agree.
- Tap on the backup of your previous smartphone.
- Tap on Next to confirm your old screen lock.
- Type the screen lock of your previous phone. Then tap on Confirm.
- Select everything, then tap on Restore.
- Select which Google Services you wish to enable, then tap on Accept.
- Choose your search provider, then tap on Next.
- Set a screen lock. It can be the same as before or different. Just make sure to remember it!
- Once done, tap on Next. Then type it again and tap on Confirm.
- Tap on Next to set your fingerprint, then tap again on Next.
- Select if you wish to enable your Google assistant (you can always do it later).
- The last screen saying "Anything else?" will appear. Here you can set more preferences. Once done, tap on Finished for now.
All done! The phone will now take, on average, between 20 and 60 minutes to update. The time depends on the speed of the Wi-Fi network, the size of the backup, and the number of apps.
To monitor the progress, swipe down from the top of the screen. You will open the pull-down Quick settings menu. There you can check the notification from the Google Play store. It is normal if the counter stays on zero for a while. Before starting to download your apps, Android will first update the system.
On your Fairphone 4 after Setup
In case you skipped restoring your backup when you started the phone for the first time and you don’t have the Setup Wizard available anymore, you can still sync your Google account. Here is how you can sync:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down to Accounts and tap it to open it
- Set the Toggle to On (right) at Automatically sync app data
- Tap on your Google account to open it
- Tap on Account sync (Sync on for all items) to select synching options separately (for example, if you wish to sync your Calendar, Contacts but not your Drive).
From iOS (iPhone) to Fairphone 4
It is also possible to migrate data from your Apple device to your Fairphone 4.
To do so, follow the official article from Android on how to Switch from iOS.
Transfer data manually
If none of the other steps works for you, you can try to copy your data manually.
To do so, follow the official article from Android on how to Copy data Manually.
After the transfer
After you transfer your data, you can continue to set up your Fairphone 4 according to your preferences.
To do so, you can consult all our other tutorials.