FP3(+). Android 11 introduction
Fairphone 3(+) (FP3(+)) runs by default Fairphone OS (Operating System), which is based on a (light) customization of the operating system Android 11.
An operating system allows you to operate a computer or smartphone, for example.
With this Android 11 upgrade, we can continue to support the software of the Fairphone 3(+) for the foreseeable future with updates and security fixes. This is to support the longevity of your device.
We recommend upgrading your Fairphone 3(+) to Android 11. Then, you will have the latest security patches and a smoother experience.
In case you are a beginner Android user, it can be quite helpful to consult:
- Our online user guide: tutorials on the FP3(+).
- The Android Help center.
- Our community-driven forum.
Switching from another operating system to Android? We advise you to consult the following tutorials on this topic to help you out!
- Our tutorial on migrating from iOS to Android.
- The Google Android tutorials on migrating from iOS to Android.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I upgrade?
A: You will receive a notification to update on your device. As we don't push it to every device at once, it might take up to a week after May 10 before you receive your invitation. We are rolling out Android 11 in stages to reduce the impact of any potential bugs we may have missed during our testing. We do not know which devices are in which batch to receive the update. We have requested Google to randomize the controlled roll-out, so we will have the greatest chance to discover bugs and issues.
Q: Why should I upgrade?
A: Software updates are important! The software that runs your phone is never completely finished, it requires continuous maintenance. For example, discovered security vulnerabilities need to be addressed. Android 11 allows us to continue doing so for the Fairphone 3. Software updates also allow us to fix any issues you might be having with your device. Last but not least, you will be able to enjoy the new features that Android 11 has to offer.
Q: Is doing my upgrade difficult?
A: No, doing the upgrade is easy!
- Make sure that you make a backup of your personal data first,
- Charge your battery
- For better results, connect to a stable Wi-Fi network
- Make sure you have an up-to-date SIM card (not older than a year or two).
- Keep your screen active during download and installation.
- Last but not least, the Updater app needs to be on the latest version (1.50.5) before you can receive the upgrade.
If after reading the article you need more help, get in touch with our Customer Support.