Back up & restore
We recommend regular backups to preserve your data (pictures, memories, contacts, etc.) because accidents could happen no matter how careful you are!
We also recommend to making a backup and performing a factory reset before you ship your device for a repair.
For a more detailed guide, you can always click here to check Android's help article.
Backup your data
The supported way to backup your data on your Fairphone is to use the Google services: doing so is simple and can be automated.
Some apps - like WhatsApp or Signal - require you to perform a separate backup. To do this, you will need to consult the web pages of the apps themselves.
Since Android 10, Google One automatically backs up the phone for you. You can also trigger a new back up whenever you want to by following the same steps as the initial set uo that you can find below.
It is also possible to download third-party apps that help you make a backup of your data. Be aware that we do not provide support for that. You can find out via our community-driven forum which apps other users recommend, are available and would be suitable for your needs.
If you are running an alternative OS, consult the forum of the custom ROM to find the possibilities for backing up your data, or find more info via our Open Source software page.
You can back up content, data, and settings from your Fairphone to your Google Account, and this means you will need to link your Fairphone to it.
If you don't have one yet, you will have to create a Google account.
After you add your Fairphone to your Google account, on your Fairphone:
- Go to Settings → System → Backup.
- Tap on the toggle next to Backup by Google One and enable it.
Tap on the button Back up now.
OPTIONAL: To back up photos and videos, continue in the same window. In the section Backup details, tap on Photos & videos, then tap on the toggle next to Back up & sync to enable it.
Restore your data after factory reset
If you follow the previous instructions, it is easy to restore all your data. To restore your data after you performed a Factory reset, follow the following instructions:
- Turn on your Fairphone.
- Follow the instructions during Setup.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi.
- When you reach the screen Copy apps & data, tap on the button Next.
- On the following screen, Bring your data from... tap on A backup from the cloud.
- Now, you will need to sign in to the Google account where you performed your backup. Type in your email address and tap on the button Next.
- On the following screen, Bring your data from..., tap on A backup from the cloud.
- On the screen, select a recent backup and tap on the button Next.
- Use your (previous) phone's screen lock (e.g. PIN, pattern) to decrypt your backup and tap on the button Confirm.
- Choose what to restore and tap on the button Restore.
- The following screen will ask you to select the permissions for the use of Google services. You can read the information to decide if you prefer to disable some of them.
We recommend leaving Back up to GoogleDrive set to Enabled
- Scroll down and tap on Accept.
- If you're setting up an Fairphone 4, you'll get a chance to choose your search provider. Once you do, tap on the button Next (to help the planet we suggest selecting Ecosia). :-)
- Set a screen lock and tap on the button Next. Make sure to remember your PIN, or you will not be able to access your phone anymore. You can also register one or more fingerprints.
- Keep following the instructions to set up your preferences. Once done, the phone will display a screen showing Getting your phone ready... for a couple of minutes.
- If you're setting up an Fairphone 4, you will see the Extended warranty screen.
- In the end, our Fairphone App will Welcome you to the Fairphone community!
Your phone will need time to download all your previous apps. Depending on the number of apps and the Wi-Fi connection speed, it may take a while (it's possible to take about an hour or more).
You can go to the Play Store → My Apps & Games to check if you installed all the apps in your library.
The first time you open the Photos app after restoring your data, you will have to choose if you want to sync with Google Drive: select Yes to see your old photos on your new Fairphone.
If after reading the article you need more help, contact our Customer Support.