Migrate data from Another Phone
Starting your Fairphone for the first time, you might like to take along your data (like contacts, photos, calendar, etc.) and your installed apps.
Follow this guide to have a smooth transition from your previous device.
For a quick introduction on how to start using your Fairphone, please have a look at our video tutorial:
Preparation for the transfer
To do the switch:
- Charge both phones.
- Connect to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure you have a personal Google Account. If you don't, you will need to create your own Google account (Google business or school account will not work).
- Insert your SIM card. eSIM cards are downloadable after the phone set-up is done.
Getting a new physical SIM card could prevent unexpected issues. Contact your provider to get a new SIM card within your current contract and with the same phone number. They can also help you transfer your SIM card contacts, or you can import the contacts to your Google account so you always have a backup.
Some 3rd-party apps, like WhatsApp, have their own backup method, and you will have to check these apps separately.
To transfer data with WhatsApp, follow the official guide on their website.
Transfer data from Android to Fairphone
If your previous smartphone runs on Android, you can back up and restore your data via Google servers. The easiest way is to bring your data from a backup from the cloud.
1. On your previous Android device
Manually back up data & settings on your personal Google account.
2. On your new Fairphone with the Setup wizard
When you turn on your Fairphone for the first time, a Setup wizard will guide you in getting your device ready for use.
- Turn on your Fairphone.
- Follow the instructions during Setup.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- When you reach the screen Copy apps & data, tap on the button Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. You may be asked to enter the screen lock of your old device to finish the restoration process.
The process will take between 20 and 60 minutes on average. The time it takes depends on the speed of the Wi-Fi network (or cable), the size of the backup, and the number of apps.
3. On your Fairphone after Setup
In case you skipped restoring your backup when you started the phone for the first time and you don’t have the Setup Wizard available anymore, you can still sync your Google account. Here is how you can sync:
- Go to Settings → Accounts (or Passwords & accounts).
- Set the Toggle to On (right) at Automatically sync app data.
- Tap on your Google account to open it.
- Tap on Account sync to select syncing options separately (for example, if you wish to sync your Calendar and Contacts, but not your Drive).
From iOS (iPhone) to Fairphone
It's important to note that the switch from Apple iOS to Android can be more than just data transferring procedures. It requires some adaptations. Using Android means also deciding what you want to do with your data; which makes you more aware of how things work and have more ownership. We firmly believe in what we keep saying since our Fairphone 1: "If you can’t open it, you don’t own it!"
Most Apple Inc. applications and services like iCal, iTunes, and iCloud will not work on the Fairphone. They are made specifically for iPhones running iOS. You can always check Apple's developer page in Google Play what's available to install. Some Apple Inc. services might be available online through the browser.
You will have to switch from your iCloud account to your Google account. This means you have to export/import your mails, contacts, and calendar for example. You can read how to do this in Google's guide for Android 11 devices or Google's guide for Android 12 devices.
Many others before you made the switch to their satisfaction, so let us help you migrate.
Transfer data manually
If none of the other steps works for you, you can try to copy your data manually.
To do so, follow the official article from Android on how to Copy data Manually.
After the transfer
After you transfer your data, you can continue to set up your Fairphone according to your preferences.
To do so, you can consult all our other tutorials and tips & tricks.
If after reading the article you need more help, get in touch with our Customer Support.