Replace a FP3/FP3+ module
Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+ (FP3/FP3+) has a modular architecture. Due to the modular architecture, you can troubleshoot and repair the device yourself by replacing the modules.
You must use a Phillips #0 screwdriver to access all modules of the FP3/FP3+. The screws of the FP3/FP3+ are also used for most (sun)glasses, so you might already have this size of crosshead screwdriver at home. If not, we deliver the device with a small screwdriver in the package so you can replace an FP3/FP3+ module at any time.
We made the replacement of the modules as easy as possible. However, as you still handle vulnerable electronics, there are some preparations we recommend.
- Do not open your device when not needed. When in doubt, consult the troubleshooter to find out if your issue can be solved in another way
- Update your device. When installing an upgraded module (like a Fairphone 3 Camera+ or a Fairphone 3 Top+ Module), update your device to the latest software version first. Otherwise, the software can not 'read' the new module.
- Use a flat and clean working surface
- Get your Phillips #0 screwdriver ready
- Do not use metal objects to disconnect the ribbon cable connectors (FPC). You can use a fingernail or a plastic object such as a spudger or a guitar plectrum
- Before you actually start, read the following instructions and the iFixit guides
- IMPORTANT -
To prevent damaging your FP3/FP3+, please be aware to avoid electronic discharge (ESD). When opening it, do NOT touch FP3/FP3+ with your bare hands. Pay particular attention to touch either the pogo pin connector or the related connection pad (see picture below). We recommend you to use rubber gloves or to ground yourself.
Open up the FP3/FP3+
To access the modules, you must follow a specific order.
- You have to open up the phone first.
- Then you remove the Display Module so you have access to the other modules.
- Important: you must remove the Bottom Module before you can remove the Speaker Module.
To open up the FP3/FP3+:
- Turn your phone off
- Take the Protective Bumper and Battery Cover off. Use your fingernail to lift the Battery Cover from the rim of the frame
- Take the battery out. Use your fingernail at the white triangle indicator to lift it up
- Remove the SIM card(s) and the SD card
- To access the modules, unscrew the 13 screws that hold the frame and the Display Module together - see Replace the Display Module.
Replace the Display Module
[FP3/FP3+ Display Module front and back side]
After you have opened the FP3/FP3+, you must remove the Display Module to access the other modules. In the video tutorial below, we show you how to separate and remount the Display Module from the phone.
To separate the Display Module from the phone:
- Remove the 13 screws that hold the Display Module in place.
- Place your fingers on the right side of the frame, inside the battery compartment
- Push the display out of the frame
- You removed the Display Module.
- The other modules are now accessible.
To remount the Display Module on the phone:
- Start at the top of the frame
- Click it into place one by one
- Fasten the 13 screws that hold the Display Module in place.
- Place the battery back in, top first
- Click the Battery Cover on the frame
- Put the Protective Bumper on
- Turn the phone on
- You now remounted the Display Module and have access to the other modules.
Replace the Top Module
In our video tutorial below, we show you how to separate and remount the Top Module from the phone.
To remove the Top Module:
- Lift the ribbon cable up from the top of the arrow to detach it. Preferably with a fingernail or a plastic spudger or plectrum
- Remove the 2 screws holding the Top Module in place
- Push the frame slightly on the back of the Top Module to remove it
- You now removed the Top Module.
To remount the Top Module, proceed in reverse order:
- Put the Top Module back in its place
- Fasten the 2 screws holding the Top Module in place
- Gently reconnect the ribbon cable with your finger until you feel it click.
- Take the blue transparent foil off the camera lens.
- You now remounted the Top Module.
Replace the Camera Module
Replace the Bottom Module